Kamilaroi Meaning: Home of the Belar Trees
Situated in the ‘Golden Durum Triangle’, the Bellata area is responsible for producing some of Australia’s best ‘prime hard’ wheat. The area is bustling with energy around harvest and sowing times. The area is also home to several large olive groves and for its natural minerals such as petrified and opalised wood and agate.
Woolabra Post Office opened on 1 September 1899 and was renamed Bellata in 1909.
Woolabra One Pound Note
At a time when money was in short supply inland, Bellata, originally known as Woolabra, produced their own! The Woolabra one-pound note was legal tender throughout NSW
A turn of the century, two storey colonial style hotel, the Nandewar Inn Hotel constructed in 1902 was a well-loved local landmark until it was destroyed by fire in April 2006.
Once a thriving rural centre, Bellata, in the early to mid-20th Century, boasted a Post Office, two General Stores, two Stock and Station Agencies, two Garages, a Café, a Telephone Exchange, a fully operational railway station with a Station Master and a Doctor.
Bellata still has a Road House, a police station with holding cell, primary school, nine-hole sand green golf course and Golf Club, tennis courts, Anglican and Catholic churches, a memorial hall where movies were once shown, and several community groups.
Bellata railway station is situated on the Mungindi line, 615 kilometres from Sydney. The station opened in 1897 as Woolabra however was renamed Bellata in 1909. It consists of a platform and unstaffed basic passenger waiting shed, and is currently served by a single daily Explorer between Moree and Sydney in the morning and by another Explorer heading in the opposite direction to Moree in the evening.